Scholarships and Allowances

Boarding Allowances

The Ministry of Education provides boarding allowances to help students who live in remote areas or who face other barriers to achieving at school. Boarding away from home is one of the options to help these students stay in education and achieve a qualification.
Eligible students can enrol at any school (state, state-integrated or private). If they enrol at a boarding school, they stay in the school’s hostel. If it’s not a boarding school, their family must arrange private board for them.   If a student in your family needs extra help to succeed at school you can find out about the different options available on the Ministry of Education Parent website.  

Deadlines for applying

This process is administered by the Ministry of Education, not the school.   For further information on how to apply, eligibility, funding and applications, please visit the Ministry of Education website.  If you have any questions about the application process please email: or call 04 439 5425 or 04 463 8085.

McKenzie-Villers Primary and Intermediate Schools' Scholarship

(This is administered by Canterbury Education Services and is usually due in by the beginning of November each year – please contact them directly). 


The candidate must produce a letter of recommendation and certificate from the Principal of his school certifying:

  • that the candidate can swim a distance of 100 yards (approx 100 metres).
  • that he has taken an active part in leadership in activities of the school.

The scholarship shall be awarded primarily on the basis of the examination results, but the recommendations of the principal of the candidate's school and such other information as may seem appropriate, may also be taken into account.


The scholarship is open to boys attending a registered public primary or intermediate school in the former Canterbury Education District who have not attained the age of 14 years on the first day of December in the year of selection and who are born of New Zealand citizens. 

Contact Details

Phone: (03) 338 4444 
Fax: (03) 338 4447

Application forms and information are available from: 

The Manager, Board Services Division 
Canterbury Education Services 
P O Box 414